History and Key Milestones
Electrical engineering (EE) was among the engineering disciplines taught when the Yantara Suksa School was founded in 1913 within the Civil Service School as the first engineering training institution in Thailand. In 1917, when King Rama VI honored his royal father, King Chulalongkorn, by upgrading the Civil Service School to Chulalongkorn University, the Yantara Suksa School became the Faculty of Engineering.
In 1929, the Faculty of Engineering created three separate engineering departments Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Civil Engineering. In 1933, Professor Dr. Charles M:Son Gewertz, a Swedish graduate of MIT, was supported by the Rockefeller Foundation to be the first Head of the Department of Electrical Engineering with a mandate to start a Bachelor's degree program in electrical engineering.
The Department of Electrical Engineering has moved from strength to strength since the auspicious beginning.
|1913||Yantara Suksa School was founded as the 1st engineering training institution in Thailand|
|1933||Prof. Dr.Charles M:Son Gewertz, as the 1st Head of the Electrical Engineering Department|
|1935||First batch of 12 B.Eng. graduates|
|1941||Master program established (resumed in 1954 after WW II).|
|1964||Graduate Diploma Program in EE established with technical assistance from UK’s Colombo Plan.|
|1967||Swiss Government helps modernize High Voltage Lab and provides additional equipment & funds to expand the building in 1981.|
|1975||Semiconductor Device Research Lab established with support from the French Government and scholarships for EE faculty members granted.|
|1983||Doctoral Degree Program established.|
|1986||Semiconductor Device Research Lab receives a grant from the Japanese Government to upgrade its research equipment.|
|1987||First Doctoral Graduate|
|1996||Six EE research labs (TCSRL, EMRL, DSPRL, CSRL, BERL, and OERL) established under the Thailand-Japan Technology Transfer Project (TJTTP) 1996-2001, a 2,019 million baht loan from the Japan Overseas Economic Cooperation Fund (OECF)|
|1997||Science and Technology Award Granted by Thailand Toray Science|
|2000||The Faculty of Engineering has allocated a new space of 1600 m2 on the 12th and 13th floors of the Engineering building No.4 for and expansion of the Department.|
|2002||Dept. is selected as host institution in Electrical and Electronics Engineering (EEE) under AUN/SEED-Net and Started to accept international Master’s and Ph.D. Students.|
|2007||First PhD student graduated under AUN/SEED-Net program|